FIFA U-17 World Cup winner, Kelechi Iheanacho who left the Super Eagles camp on Monday to seal a deal in England with Premier League contenders Manchester City may have not have his wish to appear in the colours of the Citizens materialise soon.
Iheanacho took the U17 World Cup at the United Arab Emirates by storm, after being named the Most Valuable Player at the tournament. He scored six goals and had seven assists in seven appearances.
His father, James revealed the news his son would be looking to seal a deal with ManchesterCity.
He said: “We prayed and, after talks with family members, we came up with ManchesterCity, believing he has a future there.”
But technocrats like Victor Ikpeba repeatedly fumed against Iheanacho moving to ManCity as offers came from Porto in Portugal. Ikpeba said that the young player was being misled, arguing that he had a better chance of playing first team football in Portugal and developing in the Portuguese league than moving to England where it may take him a long time to find his feet. Iheanacho’s family and agents did not heed Ikpeba’s advice. But with the latest development Ikpeba appears vindicated.
ManCity plan to enroll Iheanacho into their academy in Ghana where he will wait until he earns enough caps to qualify for a work permit.
Nigeria coach Keshi revealed Iheanacho had been released from training to start negotiations with City.
“I told the young man to go and do the nation proud at whichever club he finally chooses to settle down with,” said Keshi.
Arsenal and Manchester United were also thought to be interested in sealing a deal for Iheanacho’s signature, but look to have been beaten by City.