Arsenal have taken a significant step towards signing Karim Benzema after Real Madrid accepted a £48m bid for the striker.
That’s according to former player Rodney Marsh, who told talkSPORT that a contact of his, who he claims has never been wrong on such matters, confirmed that Arsenal have made an official approach.
Marsh said: “I had a phone call from a mate of mine, and he’s been right on many things, and he said that he believes Real Madrid have accepted a bid somewhere in the region of £48million for Benzema from Arsenal.
“In the past this guy has always been right, he’s never been wrong yet, so we’ll have to wait and see.”
Indeed we will, and a big indication may come on Saturday when Real begin their La Liga campaign on Sunday against Sporting Gijon.
Because an alternative view to that of Marsh’s contact is that Arsene Wenger is waiting to see whether Benzema is deployed in Real’s first few games to gauge what sort of an offer the club should be making.
It was a tactic Arsenal employed successfully when signing Mesut Ozil two years ago, and by Manchester United when signing Angel di Maria last year.
Real though only have two matches before the transfer window closes, so Wenger and the club will have to move fast to get their man, if they have not had a bid accepted already.
Benzema himself has remained tight-lipped about his future throughout the summer, but posted a picture on Instagram last Sunday saying he was back in Madrid to resume training.
Expect plenty more twists and turns on this one before the transfer window closes on September 1.